Decision Day 2014
Saturday, November 9th, 2013
Renaissance High School
6565 West Outer Drive
Detroit, MI 48235
This is a unique college admissions event exclusively by invitation only for students attending participating high schools.
You can drop off your completed application and supporting materials in the morning and receive an admissions decision in the afternoon.
Student application drop-off: 8:30-10 a.m.
Student decision pick-up: 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
If you are planning to participate you must
Please review the requirements for each of the participating institutions listed below before applying or attending College Decision Day. If you have already started or submitted an application to any of these institutions, please contact that college directly and let them know you are planning to attend College Decision Day 2014.
Many participating institutions are waiving the application fee for students as part of this program and all of the institutions will accept fee waiver forms. To download an application fee waiver form, visit the website for the National Association for College Admission Counseling or you may see your guidance counselor to receive one.
College Decision Day participating institutions:
- Bethune Cookman University
- Bowling Green State University
- Central Michigan University
- Eastern Michigan University
- Davenport University
- Ferris State University
- Grand Valley State University
- Lake Superior State University
- Michigan State University
- Michigan Technological University
- Northern Michigan University
- Oakland University
- Saginaw Valley State University
- University of Detroit Mercy
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor
- University of Michigan Dearborn
- University of Michigan Flint
- Wayne State University
- Western Michigan University
Disclaimer: Each participating institution is not obligated to render a decision on the day of the event. Primary causes for a decision not to be rendered include but are not limited to: missing documents, un-verified information, an act of God, site malfunctions, and larger than expected crowds. This event does not guarantee a student admission to any of the participating institutions.
Bethune Cookman University – www.cookman.edu
1. Complete the online application. BCU Online Application
2. If you are completing a paper application, make sure you include your $25 application fee when you come to the event. BCU Paper Application
3. Final High School Transcript (you may send a preliminary transcript if you are still in high school, but we will need a copy of your official final transcript upon your graduation).
4. SAT or ACT Test Scores
5. One letter of recommendation
6. One page essay (topic of your choice)
Bowling Green State University -www.bgsu.edu
1. Apply for admission on-line at www.bgsu.edu at least three days before the program
2. Make sure you choose the “Apply now Pay later” option once you complete the application because your application fee will be waived upon participate at the event
3. Bring official high school transcript (must be in a sealed envelope from your high school)
4. Bring your official SAT or ACT test results (a copy of your original)
5. We do not require recommendations or an essay for admission
6. Admission at this program does not lock you into BGSU. You have until May 1, 2014 to decide.
7. The criteria to be admitted is a 2.5 cumulative grade point average or better on a 4.0 scale and at least a 20 ACT or 900 SAT (critical reading and math combined).
Central Michigan University – http://www.cmich.edu
Application procedures for Decision Day:
• Obtain and complete a paper application from your high school counselor or download from the CMU website.
• Receive a copy of your official high school transcript.
• Secure a copy of your ACT scores (these may be included on your transcripts).
• The $35 application fee will be waived for all completed paper applications received at Decision Day 2014.
Application instructions: www.davenport.edu
*Complete the Application for Admission
*Provide an unofficial copy of your HS transcript for review and ACT or SAT scores
*Note: DU does not require essays or letters of recommendation as part of the application process.
Additionally, the $25.00 application fee will be waived for Decision 2014 participants.
Eastern Michigan University – http://www.emich.edu/apply
The first step in applying to EMU is to fill out an application for admission. We encourage you to apply online; it’s quick and easy. If you prefer to use a paper application, you may print one from our web site or call 1-800-468-6368.
Information for high school students applying to EMU: High school students may apply for admission at any time during their senior year. Please submit an official high school transcript and official scores from the ACT or SAT.
Ferris State University – http://www.ferris.edu
Ferris would prefer to see the following:
• Paper application for Undergraduate Admission (or an on-line application submitted no later than November 3rd)
• Official copy of high school transcripts
• Official ACT/SAT test score results (can be recorded upon high school transcript)
Grand Valley State University – http://www.gvsu.edu/admissions
Grand Valley grants admission to students who are prepared to meet the challenges of a rigorous university curriculum. An Admissions Counselor carefully reviews each application for admission. Academic as well as other criteria presented by prospective students are considered in the evaluation. Applicants will be reviewed using a combination of high school courses completed, cumulative grade point average, standardized test scores, grade point trend, rank in class and other factors provided by the applicant. A single deficiency in an academic area will not necessarily mean a student is refused admission. However, students who are missing a number of courses are at a disadvantage.
Subject criteria in high school should include:
• Four years of English, including composition
• Three years of science, including two years of laboratory science
• Three years of college preparatory mathematics
• Three years of social science
• Two years of a single foreign language
To be considered for admission, you must submit the following:
• Completed undergraduate application for admission
• Official high school transcript
• Official results of the ACT or SAT test
• A $30.00 non-refundable application fee
• Any necessary supporting documentation
Lake Superior State University – http://www.lssu.edu/admissions
Application procedures: (to be completed prior to November 3rd)
Please do not complete the online application if you are planning to attend College Decision Day 2014
• Obtain an LSSU application
• Ask your high school counselor for an application, OR
• Download and print the application from: www.lssu.edu/admissions/pdfs/application.pdf
• Complete “Part I” of the application
• Part I includes sections labeled: Personal, Biographical, Your Plans at LSSU, Financial Aid, Education, and Background.
• Make sure that you checked “Incoming Freshman” at the top of the application.
• Make sure that you signed and dated your application in the box above Part II.
• Ask your high school counselor to complete “Part II” of your application.
• Ask your high school counselor for unofficial copies of your transcripts and ACT/SAT scores.
NOTE: We strongly encourage you to allow your counselor ample time to pull your transcripts and complete Part II of your application, as there will likely be many students requesting assistance with college applications as College Decision Day 2014 approaches.
What to bring with you on November 9th:
• Completed Application (including Part II from your counselor)
• Unofficial copies of your high school transcripts
• ACT or SAT scores (may be included on your transcripts)
• LSSU does not require essays or letters of recommendation as part of the application process.
• Additionally, there will be no application fee required of College Decision Day 2014 participants.
Michigan State University – http://www.admissions.msu.edu/apply.asp
To participate in this program, you will need a completed online application for admission, request a copy of your high school transcript (with official school seal), ACT or SAT score results, and the $50 application fee. Students who are financially unable to submit the required $50 application fee may submit an application fee waiver or a written request for an application fee waiver from their high school counselor. All required materials will need to be brought with you to Renaissance High School on the day of the event or submitted by November 1st.
Students who have demonstrated academic promise, but have yet to maximize their potential due to socioeconomic factors, are encouraged to submit the supplemental College Achievement Admission Program (CAAP) application when completing their online application for admission. Students submitting the CAAP application will be reviewed by the CAAP Admission Committee and will receive an admission decision within one week of participating in the on-site admissions program.
What to do…
• Submit online application by November 1st …BE SURE TO FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY.
• $50 application fee (please no cash) or an application fee waiver will be accepted.
• Official Transcript –Submit through Docufide by November 1st or you may bring an official copy in a sealed envelope.
• Official ACT/SAT scores- We will accept them on an official transcript the day of the event. If you had them sent prior to November 1st you do not need to bring them.
Michigan Technological University – www.mtu.edu/admissions
Here’s what you need to do to apply during College Decision Day:
• Complete the free online application for admission at www.mtu.edu/admissions/apply
• Have your high school submit your official transcript through Docufide or by mail to the admissions office. You may also bring your official transcript, in a sealed envelope, with you to College Decision Day.
• Provide us with your official ACT or SAT scores. These may be on your official transcript or sent from the testing agency.
Northern Michigan University – http://www.nmu.edu/apply
Application materials needed for NMU:
• Application–Submit online application by November 6th or mail paper application by October 30—OR bring paper application to DPS Decision Day. You may download a printable application at http://www.nmu.edu/printableforms
• Paper applications are available in your counseling office. BE SURE TO FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY.
• $30 Application Fee (cash, check ,money order – or online at http://www.nmu.edu/appfee prior to November 6th) – OR – If there is financial hardship, provide a letter from applicant, parent or counselor requesting application fee waiver.
• Official Transcript –Submit through Docufide by November 6th , or mailed from high school by October 29–OR bring in envelope sealed by the high school to Decision Day.
• Official ACT/SAT scores-These may be on the official transcript, or via the ACT School Report form provided with official transcript, or sent from testing agency prior to November 6th.
Oakland University – http://www.oakland.edu/futurestudents
To apply for College Decision Day, you should:
- • Complete the free application at http://www.oakland.edu/apply
- • Have your official high school transcript sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions from your high school counselor’s office. The transcript must bear the seal of the institution and must not be stamped “issued to student”
- • Have your ACT or SAT results sent to Oakland University.
Saginaw Valley State University – www.svsu.edu/apply
• Complete an online application for admission at www.svsu.edu/applynow no later than November 6.
• You will be asked to provide a fee waiver code at the end of the online application before you submit. Please enter the following code: AMARMINH This code is only valid for participating students in the College Decision Day Program.
• Paper applications will be accepted on the morning of the event.
• Have your high school submit your official transcript through Docufide prior to the event. You may also bring your official transcripts in a sealed envelope with you to College Decision Day.
• Provide us with your official ACT or SAT scores. Scores may be included on your official high school transcript.
University of Detroit Mercy – http://www.udmercy.edu/apply
Application Preference: None – paper or online accepted
Application Fee Waiver: Yes for this event
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor -www.admissions.umich.edu
*The universal counselor/teacher form will not be accepted; please use the form associated with the Common Application (commonapp.org)
**The University of Michigan- Ann Arbor is unable to provide admissions decisions to applicants during the program.
University of Michigan – Dearborn – http://www.umd.umich.edu/howtoapply
Students must complete the online application no later than November 6 or submit a paper application on the day of the event. The online application and a printable paper version are available at www.umd.umich.edu/apply
Applicants must also bring to the event:
University of Michigan – Flint -http://www.umflint.edu/
Wayne State University – http://www.cardinal.wayne.edu/apply/
Western Michigan University – http://www.wmich.edu/apply
Bring with you the day of the event: